Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Greetings, Hellos, and Introductions

Since this is a new blog, I feel inclined to write one of those stereotypical entries where the writer introduces himself and explains what he will be using the blog for. I feel horribly cliched in doing this, but since this thing is in its infancy, I feel it is necessary.

As the title of this online publication suggests, this blog will have something to do with agnosticism. This is because I am an agnostic. But what does it mean to be an agnostic? Well, it can mean a lot of things. If you go by what the dictionary says, being an agnostic simply means that you are "unsure of the existence of a higher power." Most dictionary definitions of the word "agnostic" resemble that to some degree. Though in reality, agnosticism can cover a variety of different bases, and the label can be applied to many people whose beliefs may be quite different in numerous respects. In another entry, I will go into more detail about what agnosticism is and why I classify myself as an agnostic. For right now, I am just going to do my best to stick to the point of this entry, which is to introduce myself and explain the reason for this blog's existence.

As I said, I will be writing about agnosticism. I will be expounding upon my current position regarding religion and spirituality, and how I came to it. It seems to me that I have taken a pretty curvy path in order to get to where I am today, and I think it deserves to be talked about.

Now that you have a rough idea regarding what I plan to do with this blog, I should probably introduce myself. Here in the blogosphere, I am known as Adrian Isaacs. However, this is not my real name, which I probably will not be giving out. In fact, I probably will not be giving out a whole lot of information about myself. I may change my mind later on and tell you some more about me, but for right now, this is all I'm going to say.

1. I am male.

2. I am in my twenties (as of the day this entry was written).

3. I possess a master's degree that most people find quite unique.

4. I live in the Midwestern part of the United States of America (USA).

5. I am neither a Democrat or a Republican.

Sorry to be so secretive. I wish I could be more open. But this is cyberspace, and it's important to look out for yourself in this world.

Well, I am running out of things to write, so I think I'll wind this down. As I explained above, I will be blogging about religion from an agnostic perspective. I will be explaining more about what agnosticism means with respect to me and my worldview. I will also be discussing some of my observations pertaining to religion. Hopefully, I'll be able to build this thing into something at least moderately useful and enjoyable. Obviously, not everyone is going to like what I do, so I'll just have to accept that. Nonetheless, I would like to please at least a few people.

No comments:

Post a Comment